Pages

Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Winter Woes

(Photo credit: @globalfarm on Instagram)

This week, it finally got cold. I know, I know. Brisbane is only truly "winter" for about 6 weeks of the year, but we like to make a big deal of it. 

For example, today I pulled my winter coat out of the wardrobe for the first time in 10 months. I silently congratulated myself on remembering to get it dry-cleaned and immediately accessorized with a scarf. 

It occurs to me for someone who lives where I do, I have a lot of scarves. Oh well. 

I've probably written before about how I dislike cold weather. The pic above was taken at my parents' farm on the Darling Downs last week, where they are already getting frosts and hitting zero. I have less than fond memories of walking to the school bus in minus temperatures. 

Here in BrisVegas, the first bite of winter means running noses and endless, bronchial coughing on public transport. But it also means lovely things like coats, scarves, boots and wooly hats. And fireplaces (if you can find one) and snuggling under a granny blanket in front of the tv at night. With a cup of hot Milo. Or is that just me?

My British workmates LOVE it. Winter here is normal temperatures for them. Weirdos. 

And so, I reserve the right to whinge about the cold all the while secretly loving being cosy. I think I'm going to need a few more pairs of fluffy socks this time around. 

Winter - love it or hate it?

1 comment:

  1. I like it when it's for fun reasons like fires and the local show and watching the fireworks man set them alight and run for his life. But for reasons like getting up for work? Bleh.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...