Pages

Monday, August 19, 2013

Good service is hard to find

Whatever happened to good service? Got my ranty pants on because it’s Monday.


We’re currently building a big shed. This is so that the cars/car parts which currently occupy my patio can have a home, and the mechanic of the house can have a Man Cave. This has involved getting in experts – because much as C believes he could lay a concrete slab, he did concede that perhaps it was best to leave it up to people who know what they are doing.
So we called a few concreters. We got word of mouth recommendations and even a family friend to do a quote. But they kept making appointments and not showing up. ALL of them. Not just one or two. Every contractor we were dealing with broke appointments without so much as a courtesy phone call.
I was frankly shocked – how can they run businesses like this? In a trade industry where reputation can sink you as easily as it can get you work, why give such bad service?
Long story short, we finally got a good quote and a firm promise to begin work. A loud beeping bobcat showed up at my house at 6.30am this morning and commenced making eternal enemies of my neighbours. The actual shed kit is being dropped off in a few weeks, I guess we’ll see if that goes smoothly.
Let’s just say, I’m glad we’re not building a house. I’m beginning to see why people on Grand Designs have such headaches. Wouldn’t be a building project manager for quids.
Have you been let down in the customer service department recently? And did you badmouth the company to your friends or on social media afterwards?

2 comments:

  1. I'm big on the bad mouthing to everyone I know dept. the problem with tradies is that if they're good, you'll put up with anything...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! If they know they're good it must be tempting to be a bit lax in the service department...

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...